Sunday 15 June 2014

[PHOTO] College Graduate Slammed For Breastfeeding At Graduation


Watch what you post on the internet. 
Over the past few months, a few celebs like Yaya Dacosta and Giselle have shared photos of themselves nursing their newborns on social media in support of normalizing the way the world views breastfeeding, however there is another breastfeeding controversy on the rise.

Normally, graduation day is a cause for celebration and congratulations, but a recent California State University graduate named Karlesha Thurman has found herself as the subject of many headlines over the past few days after the 25-year-old’s breastfeeding photo went viral. During her graduation ceremony, Karlesha’s daughter Aaliyah began to get a little fussy from being hungry, so she took the child from her mother and began nursing her. A friend asked if she could take a photo, and Karlesha eventually posted the image in the comments of a Facebook fanpage, but it wasn’t until the photo was reposted on Black Women Do Breastfeed Facebook page, that it went viral and the backlash began.
Continue reading after the cut...............................

When she was asked by the admin of the Facebook group if she wanted the photo removed due to the large amount of criticism, Karlesha told them “No”:

I found out I was pregnant my last semester of college, had my daughter one week into my last semester, she was my motivation to keep going, so me receiving my BA was OUR moment, so glad I captured the moment and so glad you shared it with the world so thank you again.






1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...